November 19th Weekly Roundup

By Rob Dent

In memory of Guy Reeve

A minute's silence was again honoured around the area before today's games, in memory of League stalwart Guy Reeve who passed away earlier this month.

The two finalists for the Anthony Eden Gents Hairdressers Division One Cup were decided today. Warwick Cavern and Bishops Itchington fought out a 0-0 draw, with Bishops progressing through after penalties.

The other semi-final was also a close affair. Vitor Machado gave HRI Wellesbourne an early lead, before Craig Watkin levelled the score for Westlea Wanderers. One more goal apiece before the half-time break through Joe Hackett and Joe Wright took the game into the half-time break at 2-2. Despite Craig Watkin putting Westlea 3-2 ahead just after the break, HRI fought back to get on equal terms with ten minutes to go through Sam Mitchell, only for Sam Pye to grab HRI's winner in the 90th minute.

The Tracey Thomas Challenge Cup provided plenty of goals in the three matches. Jordan Bedford (2), Nathan Winwood, Gavin Reynolds and Ashley Reynolds did the damage for Lillington Juniors as they comfortably beat their Division Four opponents Kineton Sports & Social 5-1, for whom James Keller got one back.

Radford Semele progressed at the expense of Foresters Arms. A Paul Wilkinson hat-trick and one from George Ayley gave Radford their four goals, with Sam Avery replying for Foresters to make it 4-1.

Meanwhile Leamington Vets and Long Itchington fought out a 9-goal thriller. Jim Canning hit two for the Vets, with Ross Jackson and Phil Davies getting one each, but it wasn't enough as Michael Clement hit a hat-trick, Josh Marshall added the fourth, and, cruelly, an own-goal in the dying minutes of the game was enough to see Long Itchington go through 5-4.

Two games in the George Dutton Cup saw Leamington Hibs and Mid-Warks Police progress through to the next round, at the expense of Khalsa Reserves and Stockton United respectively. Hibs put four past Khalsa Reserves with goals from Luke Lindsay, Jack Marsden, Ricky Uppal and Darren Proctor, while Sam Lambert got the consolation goal for the Reserves to make it 4-1.

The Police hit three past Stockton United with no reply, with Jimmy Gethins, Tom Dobson and Jim Quinlan all getting in on the act.

With just the one game in Division One, Khalsa grabbed the opportunity to overtake Westlea and go to the top of the table, inflicting more misery on Harbury Albion in the process. Harjit Johal, Dave Benton, Talveen Nagi, Alex Marsh and Narinder Sarai were all on target for Khalsa, with Stuart Cooper, Billy Bench and debutant Jamie Hancock getting some much-needed goals for Harbury to make it a more presentable 5-3 scoreline.

AFC Warwick romped to three points to extend their lead at the top of the Division Two table, putting seven past Heathcote Athletic for no reply. Alex Sharp did all the early damage, scoring four times in the opening 20 minutes. Daniel Gummery added the fifth before half-time, Ricky Barby added a penalty with ten minutes to go, before Alex Sharp finished the game off in style by grabbing his fifth, and AFC's seventh, shortly before the final whistle.

Dynamo Leamington kept the pressure on at the top of the table, as a narrow 2-1 victory over Radford Albion saw them into second place. Following excellent work from Ray Nsemwa, Aaron Rowley poked home the only goal of the first-half. With chances for both sides, Jamie Lee got one back for Radford with a strike from outside the area, but Dynamo grabbed all three points when Andy McGuire calmly slotted home the winner.

Real Barston took the lead against Leek Wootton through Matthew Gillett, but Kevin Archibald and Andy Legg put Leek Wootton ahead at half-time. Barston debutant Luke Durston equalised in the second-half, but Sam Taylor grabbed all three points for Leek Wootton, making it 3-2 with a last-minute winner.

Division Three saw plenty of goals. Chadwick End put five past Grist Mill, with Daniel Frost getting two, and Niall McIlduff, Niall Grace and Calvin Moore getting one each, while Karl McGuire got a consolation back for Grist Mill to make it 5-1.

Hampton Magna went one better, and put five goals past HRI Wellesbourne Reserves, who were unable to respond and remain rooted to the foot of the table. William Mander (2), Wendel Moyo, Pierre Moudime and Ashley Turnbull did the damage for Magna.

The match between Royal Oak United and Ettington Rovers was a much closer affair. Ettington raced into an early three goal lead with strikes from Scott Walker, Carl Taylor and James McMillan. Royal Oak fought back, and a Wesley Klopper brace before half-time got them back into the game. Royal Oak equalised through Kyle Gibson on the hour, before Michael Glover grabbed the 4-3 winner in the last few minutes of the game.

A busy set of fixtures in Division Four saw some changes at the top of the table. With leage-leaders Kineton busy in the cup, both Warwick Printing and Barley Mow took advantage with convincing wins to take the top two spots in the table.

Barley Mow continued their goal-scoring form from last week and a 7-1 victory over Whitnash United was enough to see them into second place in the table. Abishek Paul got Whitnash's solitary consolation.

With Barley Mow in strong form, Warwick Printing needed three points to go to the top of the table, which they did with a convincing 5-1 victory over Joiners Arms, who remain rooted to the foot of the table. Harvey White bagged a hat-trick, and Jake McCarthy and Terry Bayliss grabbed one each, with Coman Alexandru getting one back for Joiners.

Castle Rangers kept up the pressure on the top three with a convincing 6-1 win over Warwick Boar, who have yet to register any points. Conor Warburton helped himself to a hat-trick, with Jez Bailey on target and Michael Byrne getting one back from Boar. Late goals from Darren Ratcliffe and John Hampton rubbed salt into the Boar's wounds.

Finally, Princethorpe put three past Lillington Juniors Reserves without reply, with Charlie Bush getting two, and Ben Rothwell adding the third.

Where next?

Charity Cheque presentation Annual cheque presentation.
Sudden death of Guy Reeve League old boy Guy Reeve has passed away suddenly.

Latest photos

Cancer Research Cup Final - May 2019
100 photos
Charity Cheque presentations
2 photos
George Dutton Cup Final May 2019
4 photos

Tracey Thomas Leamington and District Sunday Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.